ATC volume and voise change

All other discussions related to 124thATC
jgplarnold

ATC volume and voise change

Post by jgplarnold » Tue May 07, 2019 11:27 am

I am wondering where I can change the volume of the ATC voice (all other voices are easily heard) and also can the actual voice be changed and if so how?
Thanks
John

ntnll

Re: ATC volume and voise change

Post by ntnll » Tue May 07, 2019 12:49 pm

I don't believe you can control Windows (assuming you are using it) TTS volume, but just check the device you are using for it is at 100% level via:

Control panel -> speech recognition -> text to speech -> Audio Output -> Speaker

X-Plane and 124thATC don't control it, being it an OS feature.
124thATC Developer

jgplarnold

Post by jgplarnold » Tue May 07, 2019 12:59 pm

Thanks.
YES I am using Windows.
I was hoping that the volume of voices within 124thATC was controllable as it is very SOFT and I can hardly hear both the instructions from ATC and the readback whereas all other voices (from X-Plane) are much louder and easily heard eg I can hear voices from the cabin much louder. It's quite annoying.

ntnll

Post by ntnll » Tue May 07, 2019 3:51 pm

jgplarnold wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:59 pm
Thanks.
YES I am using Windows.
I was hoping that the volume of voices within 124thATC was controllable as it is very SOFT and I can hardly hear both the instructions from ATC and the readback whereas all other voices (from X-Plane) are much louder and easily heard eg I can hear voices from the cabin much louder. It's quite annoying.
That happens because the "other voices", I suppose you are speaking about the X-Plane ATC, are not drove by TTS, but are just wave files played in sequence. The only function that uses TTS in XP, as far I'm aware, is the ATIS. Is the ATIS voice audible for you?

a.
124thATC Developer

jgplarnold

Post by jgplarnold » Wed May 08, 2019 4:36 am

The voice and volume from ATIS (using 124thATC as well as manually tuning ATIS frequency on radio 'stack') sounds the same as delivery etc.

I increase the X-Plane 'radios volume' and now hear ATIS etc. Hopefully the volume of other voices (from the Zibo aircraft?) can be controlled by the X-Plane 'aircraft interior' if not I will look for those WAV files and reduce their volumes using a sound editor.

Thanks

ntnll

Post by ntnll » Wed May 08, 2019 9:08 am

jgplarnold wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:36 am
The voice and volume from ATIS (using 124thATC as well as manually tuning ATIS frequency on radio 'stack') sounds the same as delivery etc.

I increase the X-Plane 'radios volume' and now hear ATIS etc. Hopefully the volume of other voices (from the Zibo aircraft?) can be controlled by the X-Plane 'aircraft interior' if not I will look for those WAV files and reduce their volumes using a sound editor.

Thanks
Honestly I can't understand why you're experiencing such issue. So far I heard just a couple of users having this type of issue, over thousand. As mentioned, the TTS is an Windows feature, called by X-Plane (or via 124thATC via X-Plane SDK). So definitely you want to file a support to Laminar Support, or even better to Microsoft support. My suggestion is do not focus your investigation on X-Plane or 124thATC, but rather about "Windows TTS volume". Your issue is definitely at operating system level, and is where you want to focus your investigation.

Did you tried installing new voices? Here you can find some instructions about how to unlock Cortana voice on Win10 for example. It probably deserves a try.
124thATC Developer

jgplarnold

Post by jgplarnold » Wed May 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly.
I can hear other voices in the flight deck from other sources in a different voice and notiably louder such as the 'altitude callouts' when landing and those voices from better pushback but as you pointed out in an earlier reply they come from WAV files such as those in the SOUNDS folder in the Zibo folder (as well as the WAV voices from Better Pushback etc) and I'm not sure if the X-Plane settings can alter those volumes.
All TTS voices are not as loud and in a different (synthesized) voice which is to be expected.
I have now been able to increase the volume of those TTS voices to a comfortable loudness.
I was just wondering if by increasing that volume it might also result in the WAV voices then being too loud.
There's no major problem now.

ntnll

Post by ntnll » Wed May 08, 2019 1:30 pm

jgplarnold wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:19 pm
I have now been able to increase the volume of those TTS voices to a comfortable loudness.
I was just wondering if by increasing that volume it might also result in the WAV voices then being too loud.
No idea, I believe the better person that can answer to this question are you that are experiencing the issue : )
And maybe you are interested in sharing how you was able to increase TTS volume. It can points other users to fix their issues in the future.

a.
124thATC Developer

jgplarnold

Post by jgplarnold » Wed May 08, 2019 11:57 pm

As mentioned in a previous reply I increased the volume by increasing the "radios volume".
This is doen via the X-Plane SETTINGS window then select the SOUNDS tab/section, then dragging the slider marked RADIOS fully to the right.
If this is still not enough one could then drag the slider for AIRCRAFT INTERIOR towards the left so that interior sounds are reduced.
John

ntnll

Post by ntnll » Thu May 09, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks John for your feedback.
a.
124thATC Developer