Thank you/basic question about descent

NO SUPPORT HERE, just other discussions related to 124thATC
luzh

Thank you/basic question about descent

Post by luzh » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:49 pm

Thanks for this great plugin which I am enjoying. This may be more a general ATC question than for the plugin, but they are related. I am fairly new to following IFR procedures and I have a question about the descent profile from cruise to the STAR. I did a flight yesterday from Dublin to Cardiff, cruising at FL290, to the CDF-1A star. I looked at my EGFF chart and realised too late that I was supposed to be at FL160 by AMRAL, the second waypoint on the star. In real life, would ATC tell me to descend in time for me to make the star altitude, or is it up to me to call them and ask for descent when I'm about to reach the FMC-indicated top-of-descent?

ntnll

Re: Thank you/basic question about descent

Post by ntnll » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:25 am

Hi luzh,
I'm not a real pilot, I'm not 100% sure, maybe somebody in the forum can share his experience...
a.
124thATC Developer

PaulC

Post by PaulC » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:25 pm

Hello,

Both cases can happen. If ATC aren't busy, or if they need you at a specific level, then they can give you descent. If you realise that you need to commence a decent to make a restriction, then you can always ask.

Paul

scooke

Post by scooke » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:39 am

I have some real-life experience. So I'll try to share it.

IRL, area controllers are aware of almost the aircraft in their sector of coverage using radar.
So, they would be in contact with the pilots as soon as they enter the area & the pilots would also have been instructed to contact the relevant controllers on the relevant frequency by the controllers of the area that they are about to leave. If the pilot doesn't initiate the contact, the controllers will do it.
From that point onwards the pilots are guided all the way, (reduce speed, reduce altitude, turn etc) until they 're handed over to the tower controllers.
The STAR is a document that is provided as a guide to pilots so that they know what to expect. It is also used to instruct them on what to do in case they are unable to contact ATC (e.g. radio failure). Of course, when the skies are busy, some instructions may not be exactly according to that STAR. And when the the skies are clear, the instructions can also be different.

Apologies for the late reply.
Hope this helps,

Steve

PaulC

Post by PaulC » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:54 am

Steve's exactly right. There isn't anything to stop you asking for a decent if for performance, or if the controller is busy and you'd like to descend before they tell you to

Paul