VR Support

Additional modules, addons, scripts, etc
Rixium

VR Support

Post by Rixium » Sun May 10, 2020 6:55 pm

Hey,

I'm currently developing X-Plane plugins and I'm looking at introducing VR support to your plugin.

This is probably the best ATC plugin available at the moment, and the fact that you have to take off your VR headset to continue to use it is frustrating. I'm not sure how open you are to collaboration, but to get this working from my end I can use plugin to plugin communication.

Ideally, you can listen for external plugins through the XPluginReceiveMessage function. I can send out a particular code, defined by you, that you can then use to call one of your functions.

As an example, you define "Readback" as some int, I send that through to you from my module, and then you can run the relevant function.
Same thing for other functionality, Say Again, Other Runway etc.

Potentially you can also send out certain events to other plugins, which I can pick up then, such as what buttons are currently enabled, as some of your menus are only displaying certain buttons.

Hope all is well, and that you understand where I'm coming from,

Dan

ntnll

Re: VR Support

Post by ntnll » Mon May 11, 2020 4:06 pm

Hi Dan,
thanks for your interesting. I was planning to provide some kind of support to VR but I don't know how and when. I'll be happy to discuss your solution, I need to better understand what type of plugin and language are you using. I would try to prior quantify the effort of coding a native support, if it compared to any other solution/work around will be too big, I'll definitely push back the code for the time being, and I'll rather go for an alternative, like the one you're kindly suggested.
Thanks a lot for your offer, contributes are always very welcome.

a.
124thATC Developer

Rixium

Post by Rixium » Thu May 14, 2020 2:31 pm

Hey,

I've been working in C++ and building the add-on for X-Plane 11. I initially expected all plugins to send out messages by default, but I guess that it has to be done manually.

For the most part the VR support will only require building the UI for VR, which the X-Plane SDK has support for in their API, so the work is very minimal. I expect you've probably got your UI logic separate from your ATC stuff, so it would be straight forward to just do a check for VR.
It would obviously be much easier to build directly in to your plugin, as sending messages around may get a bit messy.

Thanks,
Dan

jkeye

Post by jkeye » Sat May 16, 2020 12:06 am

I have an hp reverb WMR headset and will be happy to beta test if needed.
This plugin deserves development!

Rixium

Post by Rixium » Thu May 21, 2020 10:18 am

jkeye wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:06 am
I have an hp reverb WMR headset and will be happy to beta test if needed.
This plugin deserves development!
Thankfully if other X-Plane VR plugins work for you, then any VR support for 124th ATC should too. The X-Plane SDK offer a series of UI elements that can be used with VR, which I'd imagine other plugins make use of.

jkeye

Post by jkeye » Thu May 21, 2020 10:29 pm

At this time I am using another fantastic plugin calledMoveVR which allows import of other plugin windows into VR and this works with 124thATC but each window needs imported separately so it is a bit cumbersome for this.

friesga

Post by friesga » Sun May 24, 2020 1:15 pm

Hi Antonello,

I would like to offer my support for the implementation of VR support too. I have 20+ years experience in programming, especially in C and I would love to see a native VR solution in 124thatc.

Have you ever considered to make the code open source? I'm sure a lot of people would like to assist in the development of this great plugin.

I don't know how open you are to sharing the code but if you would make it open source (or would be willing to share the code in any other way) I would definitely look into adding VR support.

Best regards,

Jos

ntnll

Post by ntnll » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:21 am

Hi Jos,
I'm not considering to open the code for now. There are also some implication as the original 2009 project was from the original author, helicharly, which I'm not sure is open to release the code.
For the time being the process will keep closed source, but I'll definitely consider collaborators for the next phases of coding!!

Thanks a lot for your offer.
a.
124thATC Developer