Wind Correction Anlge / Ground Track issues

Support for any problem or bug related to 124thATC
zayaraq

Wind Correction Anlge / Ground Track issues

Post by zayaraq » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:42 pm

Hi all!

Despite the risk of being the annyong kid, that can only talk about one single topic I wanted to ask about any news for that particular issue I have been experiencing since I use this awesome plugin.

Let me describe the issue again in detail:
In a nutshell I'm experiencing two things at once. First thing is that the wind correction anlge calculation does crazy things most of the time (more on that later) and second is that when disabling the wca (or most of the time when it does not work all by itself) the ATC does give vectors relative to my aircraft's heading and not relative to its ground track (even with wca feature disabled in the settings!).
Because of that, when letting NAV follow the flightplan, ATC will steer you way off track, because it does only care about where your nose is pointing and not about where you're actually going.
See the link for pictures and look how the given heading, the heading error and the plane's crab angle would perfectly match the right track if it was just not looking at my heading, but at my ground track.

Another weird thing I just noticed is that the wca calculation is shot whenever the plugin detects an autopilot. For whatever reason it only counts as automation when I select ALT HOLD (standard cessna 172). NAV is fine and when using VS with 0 fpm it will correctly calculate the wca as well. This last part only seems to work when I don't use ASXP, as you can see in the pictures.
Quick summary:

- everything works as it should when I use Xplane standard weather and don't use ALT HOLD in the cessna

- even with wca feature disabled in the settings ATC ignores my ground track! (gives me the RIGHT direction, but does not understand that I'm following it, because it watches my heading)

- autopilot detection seems to conflict with wca calculation somehow

- Active sky also seems to break the wca calc

I included bug reports and pictures (google drive link) for the stable version and for the latest RC version.

Pics and reports (sorry the board quota didn't even let me post a single report):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I hope I could help somehow. If further testing is necessary I will be ready to help. I'm also looking forward to seeing this fixed of course! :D
Greetings, Tim

ntnll

Re: Wind Correction Anlge / Ground Track issues

Post by ntnll » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:19 pm

Hi Tim,
I got your PM.
There are tons to things to do, sorry for the late reply, I'll definitely have a look at this issue, I'll test it asap and I'll keep this post updated!!

Thanks for report it!

a.
124thATC Developer

ntnll

Post by ntnll » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:29 pm

BTW, WCA is automatic disabled when LNAV is enabled, there are no reasons to correct the angle if the autopilot is engaged. Anyway I'll do some tests and I'll be back.

a.
124thATC Developer

zayaraq

Post by zayaraq » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:29 pm

ntnll wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:29 pm
BTW, WCA is automatic disabled when LNAV is enabled, there are no reasons to correct the angle if the autopilot is engaged. Anyway I'll do some tests and I'll be back.

a.
Hi, thanks for looking into this, it really means a lot to me :) So I did a qick test again to make sure it's not behaving differntly and I got close to the same results as before. Still the plugin mixes up heading and ground track, which is by far the biggest problem and the wca calc is somewhat unreliable, because it does not seem to be triggered only by LNAV/NAV, but from different AP modes and also when it's turned off during LNAV flight correctly I still get ATC commands that wants to steer me off course, even tho I'm perfectly on it. Also it does not seem to like the Zibo's AP very much. Thanks for the effort!

ntnll

Post by ntnll » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:08 am

I'll keep testing mate, thanks for the feedback. Also please if you don't mind, have a look in the flight information osd, you should be able to see if the autopilot is detected by the plugin, and if that changes wca behaviour.

regards,
A.
124thATC Developer

scooke

Post by scooke » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:47 am

Hi Antonello,

I always use real weather option.
I have noticed that all the wind information is completely wrong to what the pilot is seeing in the displays or reported by ATIS.
E.g. wind is a headwind of x knots & in the plugin the wind is coming from an opposite side (so it's a tailwind) or maybe crosswind & the strength is completely wrong.
If I could attach a screenshot here, you'll see it.
But this looks like a problem only in X-Plane 11. In X-Plane 10 the wind information seems to match with the other displays and/or ATIS.
Thanks,

Cheers,

Steve

ntnll

Post by ntnll » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:21 pm

scooke wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:47 am
Hi Antonello,

I always use real weather option.
I have noticed that all the wind information is completely wrong to what the pilot is seeing in the displays or reported by ATIS.
E.g. wind is a headwind of x knots & in the plugin the wind is coming from an opposite side (so it's a tailwind) or maybe crosswind & the strength is completely wrong.
If I could attach a screenshot here, you'll see it.
But this looks like a problem only in X-Plane 11. In X-Plane 10 the wind information seems to match with the other displays and/or ATIS.
Thanks,

Cheers,

Steve
Thanks mate, those are usefult information, is quite strange everything is working on the 10, I'll do some tests, thanks!
.a
124thATC Developer