TTS in Linux

Support for any problem or bug related to 124thATC
Oak77

TTS in Linux

Post by Oak77 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:02 pm

Hello all,

I have a simple question - how does one gets 124th ATC working with TTS in Linux?

I can see number of posts in forums stating they have it working (particularly with 124th ATC), but nowere a line about how to get it working.

I installed espeak-ng, but it was horrible for this purpose. I then installed Festival, which is the least dreadful of all TTS I tested, sounding a bit like a human, unlike all those other Stephen Howkings synthetic voices...

So espeak-ng is working, Festival is working, what do I have to setup, to make 124th ATC to use one of them? Could anyone please advice?

argonius

Re: TTS in Linux

Post by argonius » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:39 am

Hi

You need to add the XLinSpeak plugin, see here for more information:
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... for-linux/

Cheers
Christian

Oak77

Post by Oak77 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:30 pm

Thank you for your suggestion, Christian. I browsed this particular thread couple of times already, but it was your post that made me to read thoroughly. There's a plugin for XP that works with speach-dispatcher and the speach-dispatcher works with XLinSpeak. However, in the thread, they also state that speach-dispatcher can be configured to work with espeak-ng or Festival, which is actually what I asked for.

I will give a gry to XLinSpeak too, but except the Festival, all the other synthehizers were horrible. Festival's voice sound fine, but obviously the speach is monotonous, robotic. Also, the synthtizers are usually unable to speak aviation English, at least this is my experience from a little testing I did...

Oak

Oak77

Post by Oak77 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:53 pm

XLinSpeak is at least as horrible as the other options... I'll try to setup festival with the speach-dispatcher...

Oak77

Post by Oak77 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:10 pm

Let me correct myself: XLinSpeak is the plugin for XP11, it uses speach-dispatcher, which is on my system set with espeak as default synthetizer, but can be set to various other:
On the synthesis side, there is good support for Festival, eSpeak, Flite, Cicero, IBM TTS, MBROLA, Epos, Dectalk software, Cepstral Swift and others.
I tried to set it with festival, which is also recomended (I don't know why OpenSUSE packages are using espeak, then), but I have a notion it failed. I'll get on it later, first I have to test it with XP11 and ATC124th.

Oak77

Post by Oak77 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:10 pm

OK, first step achieved, XLinSpeak is working. I had to download Michal's posted binaries, I failed to compile the source code:

XLinSpeak.zip

Now I have Stephen Hawking talking for the ATC. Respect to his memmories, but for ATC I would like to have much better voice. So next steps are
to switch the speach-dispatcher to Festival which seems to give a reasonable human voice and to make it work with my 2nd sound card, so that the voice doesn't come from the monitor if I have headphones connected... Festival is configured for that, so the first point might sole it all. I already tried the switch, dispatcher configuration looked correctly, but I believe the espeak-ng is still synthetizing ATC124th/XLinSpeak/speach-dispatcher text, because there's a great voice quality difference between the two.

argonius

Post by argonius » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:40 pm

I don't remember the exact steps I had to do to set it up properly. I only remember it was cumbersome and I did not manage to configure speech-dispatcher to use festival by default (I am using espeak-ng with some tweaking if I am not mistaken).

XLinSpeak plugin for X-Plane will use speech-dispatcher with whatever "engine" you have configured to be default for speech-dispatcher.

ntnll

Post by ntnll » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:43 pm

Oak77 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:02 pm
Hello all,

I have a simple question - how does one gets 124th ATC working with TTS in Linux?

I can see number of posts in forums stating they have it working (particularly with 124th ATC), but nowere a line about how to get it working.

I installed espeak-ng, but it was horrible for this purpose. I then installed Festival, which is the least dreadful of all TTS I tested, sounding a bit like a human, unlike all those other Stephen Howkings synthetic voices...

So espeak-ng is working, Festival is working, what do I have to setup, to make 124th ATC to use one of them? Could anyone please advice?
Moving in the correct section (General support)
124thATC Developer