No audio output (TTS) on Linux

Any problem or bug related to 124thATC
Carpet

No audio output (TTS) on Linux

Post by Carpet » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:57 pm

Hey
I recently switched from windows to linux with using X-Plane. I was very satisfied with the plugin, however on linux I have not managed to get text-to-speech output (i cant hear ATC and the pilot's voice). I am not sure if this is really a bug, as it is not 124th ATC problem but rather X-Plane and linux. I nevertheless wanted to ask this short question hoping someone has an idea how to get audio output on linux. Is it even possible?

Cheers and thanks for the work
Carpet

P.S. libcurl4 is installed and a bug report is attached.

My System:
Linux Mint 19 Tara, Cinnamon
Attachments
bugReport.tar.gz
(12.89 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

ntnll

Re: No audio output (TTS) on Linux

Post by ntnll » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:40 am

Carpet wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:57 pm
Hey
I recently switched from windows to linux with using X-Plane. I was very satisfied with the plugin, however on linux I have not managed to get text-to-speech output (i cant hear ATC and the pilot's voice). I am not sure if this is really a bug, as it is not 124th ATC problem but rather X-Plane and linux. I nevertheless wanted to ask this short question hoping someone has an idea how to get audio output on linux. Is it even possible?

Cheers and thanks for the work
Carpet

P.S. libcurl4 is installed and a bug report is attached.

My System:
Linux Mint 19 Tara, Cinnamon

Guys please read the FAQs!! You can find a lot of answers there!

Linux TTS is not supported by X-Plane, at least it wasn't in the previous versions, I suppose is still not supported.
In the past, I wrote an experimental custom OpenAL library function, in order to provide the TTS functionality. I later deprecated it because there were other plugins doing it well for the whole X-Plane simulator (my function was interfering with those software, generating a double audio stream). So basically I suggest to the Linux users to use one of them plugins.

If I fine remember, there were:
XLinSpeak
124thATC-speechaddon

Carpet

Post by Carpet » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:08 pm

Hey
Now I feel really dumb. Sorry. Thanks for your reply anyway! Keep up the good work :) If I get it to run smoothly I'll surely consider donating.

ntnll

Post by ntnll » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:15 am

Carpet wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:08 pm
Hey
Now I feel really dumb. Sorry. Thanks for your reply anyway! Keep up the good work :) If I get it to run smoothly I'll surely consider donating.
No problem at all Carpet, I hope you can fix it.
I love Linux, but unfortunately the TTS support is quite poor. Is one of the reasons because I'm still using Windows for XP

argonius

Post by argonius » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:28 pm

Carpet wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:08 pm
Hey
I have audio output working on my Ubuntu 18.04 machine using XLinSpeak. You'll find a binary here: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... for-linux/

Just make sure speech-dispatcher is installed on your system. If you need help, just ask :-)