Some General Usage Questions

NO SUPPORT HERE, just other discussions related to 124thATC
jimroyal

Some General Usage Questions

Post by jimroyal »

I've been using and enjoying 124thATC for a few years, but there are some things about the way it works that I don't fully understand, and maybe someone can help provide some clarity for me.

First, does 124thATC consider local wind direction when choosing a runway for an approaching aircraft?

Second, a question about the way that 124thATC updates the FMS on approach. My understanding is that the plugin creates approximation fixes as a convenience in order to lighten the operational load for the pilot, which is cool. And I know that this can be turned off if desired. My question is about the realism of suddenly having a full set of waypoints programmed into the FMS. In the real world, the pilot could not insert such a large number of waypoints while flying, nor could they be input in advance, given that they are situational. So what is the thinking behind this feature? It's certainly very convenient, but is it at all related to what happens in the real world?

Finally, if I have automatic SID/STAR selection enabled, and the resulting flight plan is nonsensical (as happens on occasion, when setting up a flight between neighboring cities such as Ottawa/Montreal), where should I look for the problem?
vittop

Re: Some General Usage Questions

Post by vittop »

Hi, it looks like you too have found the same SID\STAR vs FMS issue I did. Have a look at my post:

http://forum.124thatc.matacchieri.eu/vi ... 3681#p5172

Thanx
[Using XP11.52r1|Linux Mint 20.1|Kernel 5.4.0-65|amdgpu opensource driver|Mesa 20.2.6]
jimroyal

Re: Some General Usage Questions

Post by jimroyal »

Thanks, Vittop. I use Simbrief, myself. But the problem with the odd flightplans occurred even when specifying only the origin and destination with no waypoints. I actually did find that deleting and reinstalling the plugin helped with the CYOW-CYUL routes.

Any thoughts about the second question?