Take-off clearance?

NO SUPPORT HERE, just other discussions related to 124thATC
Rog...

Take-off clearance?

Post by Rog... »

Hi All,

I am a user of X-Plane11. I generally fly the ZIBO B737 and have just installed 124thATC.

My Question:-
Does my aircraft have to be at a 'stand' or at a 'holding' point to eventually get 'cleared for take-off''?

Only I've found that I f I start the dialogue with ATC when parked at the start of the runway, following the 'taxi' instruction, I never get a 'cleared for take-off instruction.

Your thoughts please would be appreciated.
vittop

Re: Take-off clearance?

Post by vittop »

It could happen for some runway that the presence of your aircraft is somehow not detected. Try changing runway or airport.
[Using XP11.52r1|Linux Mint 20.1|Kernel 5.4.0-65|amdgpu opensource driver|Mesa 20.2.6]
Rog...

Post by Rog... »

vittop: That's an idea, it could be that. I've always tried my own home (major) airport up to now, but I'll try another one to see what happens.
Bulva

Post by Bulva »

I haven't used the 124thATC in a long time (regret it so much), but currently I only fly in VR.
From what I remember, there is a "Holding Point Radius" parameter in the setup options, which determines the size of the radius within which ATC will respond to your holding point position:

"3.2.9 Holding point radius:
Approaching the assigned runway the plugin needs to check, if you already have reached the holding point. With this option the radius for this check can be configured (default 0.1NM). The check always refers to the runway threshold. In case you are at some airport, which demands a track back, means that the taxiway to the runway is somewhere in the middle of the runway, the plugin will not let you to contact the tower, as it considers the holding point not reached yet . Using this option, the value can be increased, solving such problems. "

Try to increase this variable.
Rog...

Post by Rog... »

Hi Bulva,

Thank you for that useful information. I can see what you are saying, but my case is a litle different. I think that the 124thATC software needs to see a change in the geographic position from what it thinks is the 'ramp' and the runway hold or threshold before it can issue the 'Cleared for take-off' instruction. Because my plane hasn't moved at all it is still waiting for me to move (taxi). I have tried increasing the 'Holding Point Radius' to 2.00 but makes no difference and is expected if what I've explained is correct.

One thing I did notice, is that if I taxi (creep) forward a little along the runway towards the 'piano keys' (threshold), the 'Take-off clearance' then becomes available. Which again is in line with my thinking process about the aircraft's movement.
tangodownNZ

Post by tangodownNZ »

I am having this exact issue.

I have tried contacting the guys at 124th ATC but its frustrating because they don't reply. It seems there is no support for this plug in.

I file the flight plan, get clearance to start engines and taxi, then it says contact tower when on holding point. So I get to the holding point select tower in the 124th menu, and I never hear from ATC again. I think I may need to trigger it by putting the landing lights on, or pressing the take off config button but nothing triggers the tower to contact me.
Even when I am on the runway and take off, I never hear from ATC again.

The stock X Plane 11 ATC acknowledges when I am at the holding point but 124th does not. So its got to be the plug in.
I wish they would try to work with us on finding a solution.
tomkater68

Post by tomkater68 »

It seems there is no support for this plug in.
http://forum.124thatc.matacchieri.eu/vi ... f=4&t=3702
I think I may need to trigger it by putting the landing lights on
You don't need to turn landings light on or something like that. If you're on tower frequency and reach the holding point, you should be able to request takeoff. If not, ATC obviously doesn't recognize that you're already at holding point. Did you try to change "Holding point radius"? Is the problem related to a certain runway and airport or does it occur regardless of the airport and runway you want to take off?

Regards

Michael
tangodownNZ

Post by tangodownNZ »

@tomkater68
Thanks for getting back to me. How do I change the radius please.
I will try different airport and let you know.

Glenn
tomkater68

Post by tomkater68 »

How do I change the radius please.
X-Plane menu - Plugins - 124thAtc -Options

"Holding point radius" is the last setting in the "General" section on the left upper side.

Michael
tangodownNZ

Post by tangodownNZ »

Cool thanks. I tried Wellington airport and it worked fine. So it must just be Auckland airport where I'm having trouble. If the holding point works with the stock X Plane 11 ATC then surly it should work with 124th ATC?

P.S Is there a way to have the radius visible on screen so we can check it is at the right holding point?
tomkater68

Post by tomkater68 »

If the holding point works with the stock X Plane 11 ATC then surly it should work with 124th ATC?
I'm not familiar with X-Plane's airport design, so I don't know, how ATC detects the holding point and if default ATC an 124thATC do it in the same way. A test will answer the question :D
Is there a way to have the radius visible on screen so we can check it is at the right holding point?
INo, I donÄt think so. You have to find the correct radius by trial and error.
tangodownNZ

Post by tangodownNZ »

Changing the radius from 0.1nm to 0.2 seems to have worked. Thanks for that